Friday 23 November 2012

A long overdued entry - The Move

Our Garden Gnome enjoying the autumn breeze!


I have been wanting to make a new blog entry for as long as I can remember. Since we've moved from our comfortable home in Finland where we have a child friendly neighbourhood and also leaving close friends to move to a small township in UK where we know nobody. Thanks to the internet I've found comfort in knowing I can still keep in touch with them. I'm very grateful for the people who has taken the time to come visit us at our new home as it's not easy to get to. It's not like we're a tube ride away; it's more like a tube, a train and a car ride away. Although in theory I'm closer to my sister but that doesn't mean it's easier to get to her.

For some reason everything feels so far away in the UK. Travelling times are exponentially increased with the traffic and narrow roads. Trains are an easy way to get around but the fares are not very appealing. I found my certain comforts taken away moving here but at the same time gain new experiences. After moving to Finland over 14 years ago, I was amazed at how everything works. I'm so used to the chaos that I found myself dumbfounded that I don't have to fight to get things done. Finland has spoilt me, they've spoilt me for the simplicity of getting things done over the phone, not getting ripped off is another thing I enjoy in Finland, I feel safe dealing with people in Finland and I don't have to be super-excessively suspicious with everyone. It's more like a what you see is what you get approach.

So coming to UK I miss the simplicity of those things and not wasting my time trying to get things working. It hasn't been all that bad. It's just getting use to things and then maybe I'll learn to avoid being disappointed.

I have a few personal projects I'm doing but I won't go into details on it. I've started to look for a new job about 1 month ago (October 2012) and so far have been only in interviews. I haven't got a good feeling in most of them but then again I'm usually very cautious with how I feel about the outcome of things to avoid disappointment. I'm also taught to question things so I don't jump into conclusions like I use to being an impatient teenager.

I'm going to try a different angle as I'm not in a big rush but would like to start doing something soon rather than just shuffling away at home. It's great to get 'some' time off but the day to day tasks are just driving me insane.



No comments: